One of the challenges of working on material like this in the digital age is that you come across previous efforts to do something similar. Efforts constructed on older platforms, or with a difference political purpose. We owe a debt to those who worked on these parallel projects, and we list some of our most important precursors here as a sort of citation to their work. We encourage visitors to move through these archives and timeline projects, too.
There is a lot of material already online about race, diversity, and Brown.
See, for example:
- This timeline of activism and institutional initiative created by the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion in 2016
- Slavery and Justice at Brown University Video by Brown Political Review
- Herstory at Brown Website
- BCSC digital Archive
- Blacks at Brown, a website hosted by the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion at Brown, based on a project for the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice at Brown.
- These BCSC resources
- Race and Remembering, a website built but ETHN 0790 in 2015 – and an inspiration for the deeper dive we’ve taken here.
- Changing America, a website built by the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice to mark the local and national resonances of 1863 and 1963.
- A website archive of the Brown-Tougalooo partnership, including a keyword-searchable database of civil rights era material from both institutions.
There is also a good deal of material about student activism and protest nationally.
- We’ve collected some photographs here of historic protests at Rutgers, Fisk, and San Francisco State.
- The demands of 2015 are collected here.
- Here is a nice piece on Archiving Student Activism at Princeton.
- Excellent summary of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins carried out by black college students. How they began, evolved, spread, and the change that resulted.
- 1960s: “Project C” — an educating effort by the SCLC to give citizen education. They focused on teaching students nonviolent methods of action to end segregation.
- Here, from 1999 are the University of New Hampshire Black Student Demands
- UCLA The Black Bruins (Spoken word video from 2013)
- San Francisco Black Studies Strike
- SNCC has also produced an amazing digital gateway right here.